It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

Shovel, useful?

Shovel, useful?

Postby Rednettle » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:31 pm

I haven't had a reason to use the shovel yet through various attempts. Digging takes a longer time, but I haven't had the need to rush it yet. You can't go back home and go out again, so I can spend a long time digging. The only reason I see for the shovel is so you don't have to do something like read(the human player, not the characters) while you're waiting. Is there a use for the shovel i'm missing?
Rednettle

Re: Shovel, useful?

Postby Mr_Daddy_Pants » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:53 pm

Well there is killing with shovel, it's fun to run down whole Bozena "family" with a shovel as they cry and scream ^^.
Mr_Daddy_Pants

Postby skidmarx » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:13 pm

Some scavenge locations have many places that need digging out. And to clear a pile in 20 minutes instead of two hours makes a huge difference to the evening scavenge. I always seem to go to those places early, when I want to haul back as much selected material as I can, and maximise my time scouring loot piles for what I want, so digging through quickly satisfies my "impatient" trait.

You are right, though - it is not an essential tool. If you don't mind going back to the same location multiple times to dig your way through, then you can easily manage without.

I generally build one, because the time spent manually digging feels painfully slow. But, my first priority is a crowbar, and only make a shovel when I have the materials to spare, or wish I had more defence at the shelter, but cannot get the materials for a knife or axe.

I'm thinking the sewers under Central Square (market), the long tunnel behind the Church (I dig from the right, and never sawblade through the gate), and the bottom levels of the Hotel (with the Lunatic occupant) are the three places I find it most useful.

I have avoided many of the bigger locations (Military base, Warehouse) so I don't know if there are some places where you simply cannot get through in one evening. If you need to clear an access/escape route quickly, then you should use a shovel. Bear in mind that some places have a second exit on the opposite side of where the scavenger arrived, so getting there quickly can be tactically useful, if not essential, for getting back in time. Then again, there seems to be no penalty for missing the dawn, than a later return to the shelter. And, "waiting out" for dawn is often a much easier and safer escape from a dangerous location, than trying to make it to the exit.

But, as already mentioned, it is also a highly effective weapon. I have never failed to one-hit kill someone using a shovel from a stealth hiding. And, if left at the shelter, it becomes a weapon that those staying home can use to defend against raiders with. If you don't have the Components for a crowbar, nor gun parts for an axe or knife, then the wood content of a shovel makes it a decent, economical, alternative weapon to have.

I am speculating from the animation, but it also seems to act as a "ranged" weapon. The scavenger can strike from further away from their opponent, which seems to give an "early hit advantage" against fists or knives.
skidmarx

Postby Darlis » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:46 pm

With just few steps at resume writing service reviews. And voila! My work will be done with just in time. Hopefully it does their job more better in future.
Darlis

Postby cgplbathq » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:06 pm

Rednettle wrote:I haven't had a reason to use the shovel yet through various attempts. Digging takes a longer time, but I haven't had the need to rush it yet. You can't go back home and go out again, so I can spend a long time digging. The only reason I see for the shovel is so you don't have to do something like read(the human player, not the characters) while you're waiting. Is there a use for the shovel i'm missing?

http://doramasflix.mx/
cgplbathq

Postby wimspree » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:58 pm

wimspree

Postby wimspree » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:50 am

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comfactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ru
hangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.ru
journallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukinozones.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.ru
kondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.ru
languagelaboratory.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserlens.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.rumailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ru
nameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.ru
papercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.ru
rectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.ru
stungun.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.rutuchkasultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.ru
wimspree

Return to Enter this forum and ask all you want to know about the game.