It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:37 pm

Suggestions from a disaster volunteer.

Suggestions from a disaster volunteer.

Postby Deerofwar » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:31 pm

Hello and Thank You all for making a game that "gets the word out" about the struggles of those in disaster areas and the charity War Child!

Having volunteered in the the New Orleans area in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, I've seen things I wish I had not; However, they enlightened me considerably.
Having played the game, some things stand out to me:

*The lack of any focus on hygiene: Maybe it's my female perspective, but going more than 3 days without brushing my teeth drove me insane :evil: . Even in areas without much water, standing in a large bucket and washing one-self with a wash cloth/sponge (or two if you were lucky enough to have soap) was important for moral. Sometimes all you'd get was enough to wash your face and hair, but even that made a big difference! We saw a few people whom had created their own shower that would simply drip water at a specific rate so as not to be wasteful.

*No change of clothing: No matter how much you try, your clothes will get dirty. Fresh clothing, hopefully timed right after a shower was an amazing boost to moral as well!

*Orphans: I was unable to count how many orphans we encountered and how hard it was to find people that would not abuse them for their own gain or for things I'd rather not speak of.... (I've seen some awful people that wanted to trade items in exchange for children). Temporarily accepting orphans until you could take them to a better institutions makes you feel like you're doing the right thing, but sadly, taking care of them takes more time and resources than you'd think. Turning them away; even if you simply them where to go, will make you feel like s--t and your peers may despise you afterwards... the same goes for pregnant women.

*Animals: Another near infinite group with needs and benefits. Even if you simply leave a bowl of water out side your door, you'll meet new potential friends. I've seen people's day change from awful to excellent just by the sight of the neighborhood cat; "Look guys! Felix is here!" (as everyone runs up to the window). Dogs make great alarms and deterrents. On the other hand, I've seen fights break out because someone ate someone's dog...

*Batteries: Something needs to power that radio! :D Fully charged batteries (car batteries included) were important and I saw quality versions of them used as currency to power cd players, flashlights, TV, etc. I think flashlights should be included for night time scavenging, giving the character a 15%-25% higher chance of finding things. Surprising to many people, you can still watch TV without cable or satellite, as antennas still work, are still sold everywhere, can be made easily as well (another build-able accessory?).

Thank you again! Keep adding more content! Not only is the game a success, but you're teaching current gaming generations the reality of war. Hopefully your game sticks in the back of people's minds to help reduce conflict around the world.
Deerofwar

Re: Suggestions from a disaster volunteer.

Postby Borys » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:28 pm

And thank YOU.

As you know we have to choose what to put into the game as we won't be able to put everything. However some of your ideas will be added soon... in some form. :) I cannot say more at this moment.
Borys

Postby sarke04 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:00 pm

Many good ideas in this post.
Soap, Animals, childrens, clothes, energy, batery, torchlights... :idea:
sarke04

Postby Deerofwar » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:09 pm

Borys wrote:And thank YOU.

As you know we have to choose what to put into the game as we won't be able to put everything. However some of your ideas will be added soon... in some form. :) I cannot say more at this moment.

I'd GLADLY pay for an expansion. After reading other posts in the forum, and comments of friends of mine who bought the game as well; it looks like many feel the same. The other option is "This War Of Mine 2". ;)
Deerofwar

Postby Borys » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:40 am

I'm not quite sure if we were after such an outcome - "give us more war, we haven't suffered nearly enough". Well, time will tell what's next.
Borys

Postby Frosty » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:03 pm

Borys wrote:I'm not quite sure if we were after such an outcome - "give us more war, we haven't suffered nearly enough". Well, time will tell what's next.

You couldn't have expected people to play the game once and say "NEVER AGAIN!" If that's the reaction you were aiming for you should have made a bad game. You made a great game that has a ton of replayability thanks to random settings and many characters and while it's not "fun" in the way most games are it definitely brings more satisfaction from playing than most games. People don't get a video game everyday that makes you feel something more than sore thumbs and where you actually care about in-game characters.

And I honestly don't believe that people wan't more war and suffering, I think what most people really want is more opportunities to do something good in that setting, keep people alive and happy despite what's going on outside. War is hell, the message is well conveyed but I what about the other message? That maybe, just maybe there is place for good even in that setting, it's those moments of success when you have the food to feed everyone, help someone or just menage to get characters content are what really keeps people at the screen. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...
Frosty

Postby Borys » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:33 pm

Nicely put - thank you. :) I tried to be sarcastic - not my area apparently.
Borys

Postby Deerofwar » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:49 pm

Frosty hits the nail on the head! We love the connection to the characters, even those who simply knock on the door for meds. We love the challenge; I doubt I'm the only one who felt a sense of pride after building and upgrading all my equipment on my 9th play-through, without loosing anyone. The suspense, the surprises, and the struggle; followed by success. It's the same reason as to why myself and so many others played "Amnesia: The Dark Decent", even after requiring multiple changes of one's pants. It's the same reason I played "Dishonored" on the hardest setting while playing the pacifist route. It's the same reason why people spend so much time in games like the Path of Exile or Diablo to reach level 99 and acquire the best gear.

If that's not enough for you and your company to continue, the news stated that you recouped all your costs within two days of release... We're way past that date, and 11-bit is it's own publisher (as far as I know), so I'm pretty sure that you're using a rake to count all the money. :P At least I hope so. Expansions or a second game would likely require you to purchase a leaf blower. :D

More importantly, it seems that one of the major reasons for making "This War Of Mine" was to educate people and bring attention to charity, which I believe it had been doing with flying colors. Definitely something 11-bit should be immensely proud of!

In short, keep up the excellent work! Your studio is profitable and helping the world in it's own way!
Deerofwar

Postby Borys » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:30 pm

We're not closing yet - that's for sure. :D
Borys

Postby Deerofwar » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:47 pm

Not surprisingly, TWOM is in the top 100 on INDIEDB under the platformer category. Congratulations!

http://www.indiedb.com/events/2014-indi ... rds/top100
Deerofwar

Next

Return to Enter this forum and ask all you want to know about the game.