It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 am

Mouse + Keyboard control option

...and here we talk about reviews, gameplay, cool ideas for Anomaly Warzone Earth and stuff like that. And it's for PC and Mac computer users too.

Re: Mouse + Keyboard control option

Postby ZildjianKX » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:48 pm

Just curious, why not? If you guys were able to add full touch screen support, which I don't think many people will ever use (or even asked for), I'm a bit confused why you can't make a simple control tweak to address legitimate customer usability concerns. Is the game still being updated? It's been 3.5 months since the last update.

Also, for the record I pre-ordered Anomaly (paid nearly full price), bought it for the iPad too, so I like to support indie developers. It just disheartens me when they don't listen to their fans.

Also, there are other posts around the web about this:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1827890
ZildjianKX

Postby admin » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:37 am

Hi,
I really appreciate your support.
But the problem is that while developing touch screen feature was easy becuase engine was meant to be that way, the new control system would force us to totally redesign all tutorial missions (all of them are slightly different depending on a chosen controller) and that would mean a lot of work which we cannot do now, becuase we have limited processing capacity.

What we're struggling for some time is the achievements bug on Steam and, hell, I was hoping to fix it 2-3 weeks ago and still programmers couldn't finalize the patch, hope it'll go live next week.

Regarind the controlls - I know you presented different solution, but I can't promise we will do it. On the other hand, the game utilizes the tutorial missions that introduce how it all works. I still don't get where is the hardest part? Maybe there's something badly introduced and you get confused by the hints?

And it's not like that we don't listen to you. Things you'd like us to redesign require building tutorial missions from scratch for new control system. This is months of working.
admin
Site Admin

Postby ZildjianKX » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:26 am

The issue isn't that the controls aren't explained well, it's that they aren't natural for some people, myself included. The keyboard is much easier to control the character, the mouse is much easier to select paths on the map. You don't even have to redo the tutorials, just let the ASDW or arrow keys let the character move also if the user selects mouse controls. Thanks for listening. Sorry if I sounded annoyed/harsh before... it's just I really want to play this game, but the control options (or lack thereof) keep me from wanting to.
ZildjianKX

Postby admin » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:11 pm

We would have to redo the tutorials. Anyway, let's see what we have. Basically, the best (personally) way to play it is with a gamepad.
But if you choose mouse and keyboard, it is quite easy once you get the scheme:

Mouse is for controlling the Commander. Click LMB and he'll walk to where you clicked.
MMB (the mouse wheel) is for toggling Tactical View on and off. In the Tac View just click on any intersetcion to change the direction.
RMB is for the Abilities. Click RMB on a place on the map, where you'd like the Commander to deploy an Ability. The Abilities Menu will open and you can pick any Ability you want to be deployed (by clicking on it; the time stops while the Menu's opened so no worries that the squad may get hurt). Please remember the Abilities displayed on the left of the screen are just an info of your current status of Abilities. The Menu opens only when you click RMB somewhere on the level. So once you've picked an Ability, the Commander will go to the chosen place and will deploy chosen ability.

Space is for Squad Menu. Once pressed, it opens the Squad Menu where you can buy, sell or upgrade units by clicking on relevant buttons. If you'd like to shape squad differently, just drag and drop any unit. Press Space to leave the Squad Menu. Time stops when the Squad Menu is opened.

And that's about it. You can speed up time by pressing left Shift.
admin
Site Admin

Postby ZildjianKX » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:25 pm

admin wrote:We would have to redo the tutorials. Anyway, let's see what we have. Basically, the best (personally) way to play it is with a gamepad.

So I've given up and bought an Xbox 360 controller since the gamepad is probably the best way to play, as you mentioned. I figured that's the only way I'll be able to handle it :) Unfortunately, the gamepad doesn't show up in the control settings, is this a known bug? I'm on a Mac, btw. Any plans to fix this?
ZildjianKX

Postby admin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:43 pm

holy crap... I'm sorry but gamepad is supported by PC version on Steam. You should have told about the Mac earlier... :(

I have no idea how to help you. Well, I can explain how each action is performed with mouse or keyboard, whatever you prefer.
admin
Site Admin

Postby ZildjianKX » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:07 pm

LoL, I'll just play it on my iPad then. Any plans to add joystick support to the Mac version, or is it wrapped? Thanks in advance. Also, windowed support would also be fantastic if you guys end up sneaking another update out :)
ZildjianKX

Postby Cosmitz » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:09 pm

Hello,

I've played and finished Anomaly Earth on my Android-device and it was a great game, one of the best i've played on my smartphone, with wonderful mechanics and beautiful effects and a challenging difficulty curve. After seeing a few videos of the PC version and seeing how many things, including the missions, are different, i went on Steam and bought it.

Still, even after reading this thread, i'm having trouble understanding why was it thought that the controls should be Keyboard OR Mouse.

Moving comes naturally with the WSAD keys because it allows the mouse to be free to wonder the screen without bothering with basic movement. It allows me to keep moving and also pan my view to see where i'm heading. It allows me greater flexibility to drop power-ups at my location and also at any location within mouse range while still controlling the character.

If i choose keyboard, i lose the fast map/squad changes that i would have done with the mouse, while if i choose mouse, i lose the flexibility that a keyboard 'sharing the load' with the mouse has. I love the mouse mode, it does feel faster and more dynamic in the whole UI, but clicking to move is a hindrance, especially in a heated battle where you have to manage a lot of things at the same time.

I can see that the game is sort of hardcoded with either control interface, seeing how it 'reloads' each time i change the control, but as it is right now, i'm really sorry but i find it a chore to play.

Just to make sure, i fully understand how the controls work and how to play the game, and i do have a certain gaming background so i'm not just fussy for no reason.

Thanks for the read,
Cosmitz

Postby admin » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:46 am

Yep, now we're smart enough to learn it was not a good decision. But we don't have time to re-do this and simultanously develop new things, so most likely we are going to leave things as they are. On the other hand, we won't make the same mistake in next games, so controls system is supposed to work with WSAD + mouse as suggested.
thanks
admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Anomaly Warzone Earth general discussion