It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 pm

Game does not start in Ubuntu (Intel GPU issues)

Anomaly Warzone Earth - all that relates to our game and Linux. Technicall support for Linux - if possible, that is.

Game does not start in Ubuntu (Intel GPU issues)

Postby xedi » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:20 pm

I bought the current Humble Bundle and downloaded the .x86_64.deb so I can install Anomaly in Ubuntu 11.10. It installed fine but when I launch the game literally nothing is happening. It does not feel like it is crashing, it just never initiates anything. Has anybody experienced similar issues or is it a known bug?

Edit: All the other games work fine, so it is not a general issue with the Humble Bundle.
xedi

Re: Game does not start in Ubuntu

Postby pablcorr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:37 am

I am having the same problem running Kubuntu 11.10 64 bits

If I try to run the game from the console I get this error (from file ~/.xsession-errors):

klauncher(1675) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry Categories in "/usr/share/applications/anomaly.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).
GLX_EXT_swap_control not supported, unable to set vertical sync.
Extension EXT_texture_compression_s3tc not supported. Shutting down the game.
plasma-desktop(1776)/plasma StatusNotifierItemSource::refreshCallback: DBusMenu disabled for this application

$cat /usr/share/applications/anomaly.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Anomaly Warzone Earth
GenericName=Anomaly Warzone Earth
Comment=Tower Offense at its best!
Icon=/opt/Anomaly/icon.png
Exec=/usr/games/anomaly
Categories=Game
Path=/opt/Anomaly

Any help is appreciated :)
Last edited by pablcorr on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
pablcorr

Postby travisbhartwell » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:38 am

A couple of questions to help diagnose what is going on.

Could you share what is in your ~/.xsession-errors file right after you attempt to run Anomaly? If there are any errors output they will show up there, in the last few lines. There is probably a lot of content before this, so only the last few lines should be important.

Also, what video card are you using? And, what driver are you using, if you are aware?
travisbhartwell

Postby travisbhartwell » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:21 am

pablcorr wrote:I am having the same problem running Kubuntu 11.10 64 bits

If I try to run the game from the console I get this error (from file ~/.xsession-errors):

klauncher(1675) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry Categories in "/usr/share/applications/anomaly.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).
plasma-desktop(1776)/plasma StatusNotifierItemSource::refreshCallback: DBusMenu disabled for this application

Thanks for the info. The XDG warning can be ignored and be fixed in another release of the packages.

Regarding the errors that are significant, which are the GLX and s3tc errors. As of right now, the open source Mesa drivers as shipped in Ubuntu and Debian (and I believe Fedora as well) do not have support for s3tc texture compression due to patent issues. For those with Intel graphics cards, the open source drivers are the only drivers available. If you have an ATI or Nvidia card, switching to the proprietary drivers for those cards will fix this.
travisbhartwell

Postby xedi » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:12 am

I looked into the error file and it says a lot of things but that I noticed in particular this line:

Code: Select all

So as you expected, this is the problem and it makes sense because I have an Intel x4500 GPU. I have to try the game on my Android phone then... It is still a pity that we can't play it in Ubuntu and derivatives and Intel graphics because that is a very common setup. Is there any hope that this will change in the future?
xedi

Postby B1-66ERDK » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:26 am

First Off:
What kind of solution is " just install the proprietary drivers"????

Second:
My System is Sabayon Linux 64bit using kernel version 3.2.0.
I am already using the proprietary nvidia driver for my geforce gt 220m (driver version 290.10)
And it doesn't work here either, it just freezes my system.
And when it try to launch it from the terminal, againg it freezes and I don't get any output what so ever!.
B1-66ERDK

Game won't start (Linux)

Postby CrimzonEyed » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:58 am

Sup!
I'm trying to run Anomaly on Linux (Linux Mint), the problem is the screen just flash when I try start the game, the process isn't running in the background.

Computer Specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7100 @ 1.80GHz (Dual Core)
2GiB RAM Memory
Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 384-MB shared system memory

Kinda weird it works on my HTC desire but not on my computer :p
CrimzonEyed

Re: Game won't start (Linux)

Postby bgr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:24 pm

I have a 64bit Xubuntu 11.10 with the 3.0.0 kernel, running on Intel Core i5 and Intel HD 3000. Using this setup the game doesn't start.

humble@bundle:~$ anomaly

Using bumblebee I enabled "NVIDIA Optimus" mode, which means I can switch to this graphics card: NVIDIA Quadro NVS4200M. This also means using the NVIDIA driver, nvidia-current version 280.13

humble@bundle:~$ optirun anomaly
OpenAL sound device name: PulseAudio Default

The game starts normally.

I have to say that I am impressed, Anomaly is just like a film, but you can change the script in real time. Cool!
bgr

Re: Possible solution

Postby bgr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:43 pm

I remembered that Braid had the same problem, so here is a link to the mailing list where a solution is discussed:

http://icculus.org/pipermail/braid/2010 ... 00010.html

tl;dr for Ubuntu there is this application "driconf" which can enable the S3TC support, if it was just disabled. It didn't work for me though, probably meaning that the library(-ies) were never included. I just got a segmentation fault.

humble@bundle:~$ anomaly
OpenAL sound device name: PulseAudio Default
Segmentation fault

Here is what the Braid developers have done:

https://bugzilla.icculus.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4825#c48

Cheers.
bgr

Crashes X on Kubuntu 11.10

Postby ErwinJunge » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:35 pm

When I try to launch the game, my X crashes and I'm booted back to the KDE login screen.

System details:
Samsung N220 netbook
Intel Atom N450
1GB memory
GMA3150 internal video chip

I'm not sure where to look for details regarding what happens exactly. I'll happily crash my system again to get you a log, just tell me where to look :)
ErwinJunge

Next

Return to Anomaly Warzone Earth - all that relates to our game on Linux. Technicall support for Linux.